Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I am honored, humbled?, that you have checked in here over the last year and a half when I have been dormant.  I felt I didn't have stories, but how ridiculous!  There are always stories...some times I just don't want to write them down.  For those with little or no filter, ie. me, it can make you feel naked to see some thoughts on 'paper'.  Do you know what I mean?  Or, have you worked on your filter?  Let me know your thoughts down here \/

If you are on Facebook, you can't help but notice it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I am, by nature, sarcastic, so forgive me for saying, but I am fully aware already.  If it weren't enough watching two dear friends receive treatment for breast cancer in the same year, and another losing her mom to the killer, I lost a lifelong best friend to Triple Negative Breast Cancer in December.  According to breastcancer.org, this type of breast cancer "tends to be more aggressive than other types of breast cancer" and "women with triple-negative breast cancer had a higher risk of death within 5 years of diagnosis".  We lost my dear friend, my mother-in-law, within a year of her diagnosis.  As I sit typing at my desk, I am staring into her eyes in my favorite photo that sits there.  I ponder, like I do almost daily, what would she have me say about this horrible time in my life?

Faye, our Meme, always had wise words.  She knew the power of the tongue to encourage, or slay, and didn't mince words.  She cared about EVERYone's feelings and welfare.  She didn't care if you were the trash collector, or the President, you would receive her opinion, and her love.  I will try to share what I learned from her...though it would take volumes, I will attempt to do her justice.

  • Show up.  Meme never missed an occasion important to me, my husband, or my kids.  She was there for the birth of each of my children, their birthdays, surgeries.  Whenever I called, she dropped what she was doing, and SHOWED UP.  She never failed to be there when I needed her...until now...
  • Appearance matters, when it is your's, BUT, not when its someone else's.  To meet Meme, you could not miss her hair and makeup being "done" and her clothes being accessorized.  She bought all of us beaucoup clothes and at bargain prices.  Shockingly, she would find a designer item for a dime, with the wrong size number inside, and it would be a perfect fit.  She had an eye for fashion, and all things pretty.  She wanted everyone to feel pretty.
    Meme didn't judge your appearance, if she didn't know you.  She assumed you were good and true, and could be her next friend.  She didn't see color or status.  Now, if she knew you, she might ask if you just got out of bed!  A lady should be put together;)
  • Money is not king.  Money is temporary, and is meant to be spent on the people you love.
  • Take time to sit and talk with those you love.  She and I had a routine when she came to visit.  Our Meme lived about 4 and a half hours away from us, so we only had weekend visits.  When the kids were smaller, they argued over who got to have Meme sleep in their bed.  As they got older, they slowly realized she snored louder than thought humanly possible, and fought over sharing a bed with her much less.  But, the mornings were MINE.  Meme and I would grab our first cup of coffee and sit down at the kitchen table in our pjs and talk about the kids.  And Brian.  And religion.  Philosophy. Travel.  Politics.  Nail polish.  She taught me about scripture with a passion.  When the birthday party, or trip to the zoo, was over, we agreed it was 5 o'clock somewhere and sat down with a glass of wine together.  We had the BEST talks.  I miss them so much.
  • Time will run out.  Life is so much briefer than I knew a year ago.  Meme and I planned to go to the Holy Land together...when the kids were older.  Just her and I, walking where Jesus walked, and discussing theology, and giggling while praying, like schoolgirls.  We talked about traveling to Africa together, and ministering to orphaned children and scared, widowed moms.  See, there would be time one day for these dreams God had placed in our hearts, I thought.  I was wrong.  I have a strong feeling, if I had called her, and said pack a bag, she would have gone with me.  Why didn't I?
  • Laugh.  There will always be time to cry later.
  • Be an eternal optimist.  What have you got to lose?
  • God is so good.  In your darkest day, He will hold you in His hand, and soothe your brow, and whisper in your ear that you are loved by the Creator. 

Psalm 39:4-7

New Living Translation (NLT)
4 Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered—
how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
at best, each of us is but a breath.” Interlude
6 We are merely moving shadows,
and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth,
not knowing who will spend it.
7 And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.

That's all I've got for now.  Thanks for stopping by, and letting me share.
And please, please, don't forget to check your Ta-Tas.








2 comments: