Thursday, July 15, 2010

Freedom!

I wish I had run in here last night to post this because I was so excited and thrilled! I live in a very old house and the lock on the bathroom door has not worked for me in some time. I say "for me" since my hubby says it WILL work if you slightly pull up on the door handle, while twisting about 45 degrees and pushing on the door with your forehead. Last night, I was able to go in my bathroom and lock the door behind me! This was due to my new lock that I installed. Hooray!! If you are not a parent, or quite possibly, if you are not a Mom, you wonder what the big deal is. If you are a Mom, you know that this was the highlight of my week, or likely, my month.

I had begged B to put a new lock on my door for months. Didn't happen. I put it on the shopping list, and B said we had one...somewhere...and he'd do it. Finally, yesterday, I searched our basement and found a little hook and eye thingee and started on it myself. B came home whilst I was still installing and said, "If you want something done..." Then, "I'll do that for you later tonight, honey." Yeah. When I went to shower later it was still not done. I did it MYSELF!

So, after locking myself in the bathroom for the first time...YIPPEE!...I heard footsteps running toward me. I chuckled. I wanted a child to try to get in my newly established isolation escape...slightly cloroxy-smelling, slightly mildewy as it is. I felt such freedom! I felt like...like...a human being. Able to pull down my pants without an audience. I felt slightly giddy with the knowledge that I could shower with no danger of ninja cold water attack. I could even examine my back side in dual mirrors contemplating which fruit shape I resembled with no snickering from little peepers.

It is summer. It is the long stretch. The time of year that all decent, child-loving stay-at-home parents dread. I told my neighbor yesterday, the drearies have set in. The dreams of exotic get-aways. The hope of impromptu free get-togethers with unsuspecting friends.(..cause they don't realize how poorly behaved the "summer" kids have become.) The fantasy of yet unheard of camps that are just perfect for my high energy six year old boy. The sibling warfare is in full swing. The pleas for mom to play with one in the hundred degree outdoors. The continuing daymare for the introverted mom who must re-energize by time alone.

Thank the good Lord I have my bathroom.

1 comment: